Watching Super Bowl XLVII with friends can leave a lot of us feeling like information haves and have-nots. While some of us have been following the teams, their players, strategy, and statistics since the day we were born, others at least know who the quarterbacks are and that they are the ones who throw the ball.
Whether you're looking to impress the sports nerds in the room with a few of your own facts, or you're simply a true connoisseur of arguably useless knowledge, here's some fun trivia for you about Super Bowl 2013.
Five Fun Facts About the Super Bowl
- This year, a 30-second commercial costs $4 million, up from 3.5 million last year and $42,000 in 1967, according to Time.
- Football fans are anticipated to consume an estimated 79 million pounds of Hass avocados during Big Game gatherings this year, according to the Hass Avocado Board.
- If you still think the 1983 season finale of M*A*S*H was the most-watched broadcast in the U.S., think again. The 2010 Super Bowl between the New Orleans Saints and Indianapolis Colts stole that title, only to be beaten exactly one year later when 111 million people tuned in to watch the 2011 Super Bowl between the Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to Nielsen Co. That record was broken again last year when 111.3 million people watched the Giants beat the Patriots, according to ESPN.
- Heading into the game, the 49ers are 5-0 in Super Bowls and the Ravens are 1-0 in Super Bowls.
- Super Bowl XLVII is the first time in professional sports history that siblings will play each other. John Harbaugh coaches the Ravens and Jim Harbaugh coaches the 49ers.
So who will come out with the title? Finally, here's some actual useful knowledge to have heading into Sunday.
Who: The Ravens vs. The 49ers
Kickoff Time: Sunday, Feb. 3 at 3:30 p.m. PT
Where: New Orleans, LA at Mercedes-Benz Superdome
The Sweetwater Music Hall is showing the Super Bowl on the big screen. What other spots do you recommend for watching the Super Bowl? Tell us in the comments.
Here's what else is happening on Mill Valley Patch
- Opposition Mounts to Proposed Cut of Tam Union District Program
- Sweetwater Music Hall Looks to Seize Post-Furthur Momentum
- Planning Commissioner Criticizes City Staff, Cites 'Turf War' Over Vision for Mill Valley
- Marin’s Redwood Trust to Open New Facility in Colorado, Create 550 Jobs
- Police Blotter: Thefts Aplenty, Noisy Neighbors and a Silver Porsche Unbound
For local news like this wherever you go, follow us! And don't forget to sign up for our daily e-newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox.