The Mill Valley Fire Department wants to remind the community that Christmas tree fires are not common, but when they do happen, they're likely to be serious.
On average, one of every 66 reported fires that began with a Christmas tree fires resulted in death. Watch a video demonstrating the flammability of a dry Christmas tree versus a tree that has been watered regularly.
- One of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems.
- A heat source too close to the Christmas tree starts one in five of these fires.
- The highest percentage of fires occur after the holidays.
If you have any questions regarding disaster preparation, first aid and City services, please call the Mill Valley Fire Department at 415-389-4130.
The Mill Valley Fire Department and Patch wishes you and your family a safe and wonderful holiday!
Here's what else is happening on Mill Valley Patch
- Driver Rescued After Plunge Off Muir Woods Road
- Three-Car Collision on Highway 101 Causing Heavy Southbound Traffic
- Mill Valley’s Priciest Homes: 85 Marin View Ave.
- PHOTOS: Mill Valley Holds Candlelight Vigil for Victims of Connecticut Shooting
For local news like this wherever you go, follow us! And don't forget to sign up for our daily e-newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox.