With a career that spans five decades and nearly the full spectrum of musical genres – from jazz fusion to sugary R&B pop, Narada Michael Walden doesn’t have to make too many calls to pull together an all-star benefit show.
For 16 years, he's been putting on a holiday jam concert to benefit his eponymous foundation, which “promoting music education among Bay Area youth and making a difference with music in the lives of young people.”
For this year’s Holiday Jam 2012 "Beach Party Freak Out!" at 142 Throckmorton Theatre, Walden has lined up a number star studded performers, including Sammy Hagar, Tony Lindsay from the Santana Band, Tom Johnston from the Doobie Brothers, Lara Johnston, Jeanie Tracy, Sakai and Nikita Germaine from Train, Jeff Watson of Night Ranger, Janice Maxie-Reid, Raz Kennedy, Kelly Covington and more.
Walden’s 11-piece band, with the host on percussion, serves as the backbone of the evening.
Walden’s foundation puts on a number of music education events each year, including hosting students at his Tarpan Studios in San Rafael and walking them through the process of playing and recording music. He also visits music classes at schools like San Marin High to provide some hands-on instruction.
This year Walden also released his new album, Thunder, a fusion of “swampy blues, rock, funk and soul” that stemmed from his recent two-year stint touring with guitar great Jeff Beck.
Last year, he said he was dedicating 2012 to “rebuild this area and its place in music,” citing a recent meeting he had with longtime friend Carlos Santana about the possibility of creating an environment where they could sign local artists and put out records on their own.
IF YOU GO
- What: Narada Michael Walden's Annual Holiday Jam 2012 "Beach Party Freak Out" With Special Guest Sammy Hagar
- Where: 142 Throckmorton Theater
- When: Friday, Dec. 19. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., show is at 8 p.m. VIP reception and preferred seating at 6:30 p.m.
- Tickets: $75 general admission and $125 including a VIP reception and preferred seating. Order online or call 415-383-9600.
- Bonus: Luau attire optional!
Here's what else is happening on Mill Valley Patch
- Kiddo! Posts Fundraising Thermometers
- Marin Theatre Company Extends Run of 'It's a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play'
- Students to Rock Out at Tam Jam This Saturday
- PHOTOS: Mill Valley Gets into the Holiday Spirit at Winterfest
- Watch 12-12-12 Concert Live on Patch
For local news like this wherever you go, follow us! And don't forget to sign up for our daily e-newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox.