In God we trust? For the most part, yes.
According to an annual Gallup poll that tracks the state of religiousness in America, 40 percent of the nation was classified as “very religious” in 2012.
And while California has long been seen as a liberal bastion, in matters of faith we’re moderate. Poll results show:
- 35 percent of us say we’re “very religious.”
- 29 percent say we’re “moderately religious.”
- 37 percent say we’re “nonreligious.”
There are at least 15 houses of worship in Mill Valley, according to our directory, from Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church and Mt. Tamalpais United Methodist Church to the Islamic Center of Mill Valley and the Buddhist Temple of Marin. Do the poll results ring true for Mill Valley? Tell us in comments why or why not religion is an important part of your daily life.
Survey results are based on 1,000 interviews done in all but two states and the District of Columbia, according to Gallup. Participants were asked to say if religion is:
- An important part of their daily life and that they attend religious services every week or almost every week (very religious)
- An important in their lives but that they do not attend services regularly, or that religion is not important but that they still attend services (moderately religious)
- Not an important part of their daily life and that they seldom or never attend religious services (nonreligious)
The most religious state in the union continued to be Mississippi, with 58 percent of its residents identified as “very religious.” The least religious state was Vermont, with 19 percent of residents falling into that category.
Want to know how all states ranked? Read the State of the States online at Gallup Politics.
Here's what else is happening on Mill Valley Patch
- City Council Digs Into Planning Commission Spat
- Shots Fired in Beer Theft Sunday at Safeway in Strawberry Village
- The Mayor’s Week in Review: Feb. 11-17
- Police Blotter: Mercedes on the Median, Bike Thief Nabbed and Too Young to Drive
- Boyle Park Tennis Court Rehab Gets Back on Track – Money Hunt Begins
- VIDEO: Sol Food Opens Its Doors in Mill Valley
- When Can I File My 2013 Tax Return?
For local news like this wherever you go, follow us! And don't forget to sign up for our daily e-newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox.