The Marin County Emergency Services Agency is “pumped” to announce the fifth annual “Don’t Miss a Beat-Sidewalk CPR” event on Saturday, June 14, at venues throughout Marin County.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the public can learn how to perform hands-only CPR and assist a person who has experienced a sudden cardiac arrest. In just five minutes, anyone age 8 or older can learn a skill they hope to never use: cardiopulmonary resuscitation, or CPR.
Every year in Marin, more than 200 people suffer cardiac arrest outside of a hospital. Battalion Chief Mike Giannini, the fire emergency medical officer for the Marin CountyFire Department, said a cardiac arrest patient is three times more likely to survive if a bystander starts hands-only CPR in the minutes before medical professionals arrive. “It is a simple and effective way to save a life,” he said.
The non-certified trainings will take place in 22 locations around Marin. Local doctors, nurses, paramedics, emergency medical technicians and firefighters will teach hands-only CPR and the use of automated external defibrillators (AEDs) that help keep hearts beating.
Last year 2,169 people were trained in just four hours, and this year the goal is to train more than 2,500 people. Participants are eligible for raffle prizes from community partners who support the cause including the San Francisco Giants, SoulCycle Marin, Blazing Saddles and Tyler Florence.
Learn to save a life at the following locations:
- Vista Point – Golden Gate Bridge
- Tiburon Ferry Plaza
- Strawberry Village Shopping Center
- Mill Valley Depot Plaza
- Throckmorton Fire Station
- The Village (Corte Madera)
- Corte Madera Town Center
- Bon Air Shopping Center (Greenbrae)
- Marin Country Mart (Larkspur Landing)
- Mi Pueblo Foods (San Rafael)
- Northgate Mall (San Rafael)
- The Fairfax Festival
- Toby’s Feed Barn (Pt. Reyes Station)
- Woodacre Market
- Vintage Oaks Shopping Center (Novato)
- Tomales Bakery
- Marin French Cheese Factory (Hicks Valley)
- Novato Festival of Art, Wine and Music
- Golden Gate Ferry to S.F. Giants game
- Woodland’s Market (Tiburon)
- Sausalito Ferry Terminal
- Bayside Café (Sausalito)