It's been a great week as we head into the holidays and I enter my second term as Mayor.
First things first: thank you for letting me serve. 2013 will be my 16th year of doing something in a volunteer capacity for this town we all love so much. It has been a real privilege and an honor for me. It's an amazing town, with great residents, arts, culture, businesses and staff. As I said on Monday: Mill Valley's beauty lies in the fact that "it just works." I look forward to the year together - both as Mayor and in my continuing role of Chair of the General Plan Advisory Committee (GPAC).
Now, my reflections on the week.
- Annual goals: stay focused on getting our General Plan updated and embracing the newly enacted State pension reform act in a holistic, healthy way that works for Mill Valley. Neither of these should be campaign issues in 2013. Beyond that it's getting the right people to continue volunteering on our boards and commissions . . . and having fun.
- General Plan: Staff and the various Working Groups have done a tremendous amount of work creating draft implementation plans and a draft Housing Element too. The GPAC has similarly consumed enormous amounts of information and given direction to Staff. Our work this past week on Mobility implementation goals and the draft Housing Element was typical of the teamwork displayed. I encourage you all to stay involved in the process as it unfolds. We remain on track.
- Weather: A day like today makes it hard to recall what occurred just a week ago, but kudos to Public Works, SASM, and Police & Fire for keeping us all safe throughout the rains.
- Love: A 49th birthday for a deeply loved one . . .
- Art: The "Click Off" winners announced
- Family: A new member born into the Planning Dept family (Leia Staude)
- Fun & Santa: Ah the joys of the season: snow in the Plaza, great food and music, lighting the tree, lighting the Depot, and better yet - never being too old to enjoy Santa. Kudos to Daniel, Paula & Alan and the rest of the MV Chamber & their sponsors for putting on the show. Thank you City staff for facilitating it all too.
I hope each of you had a great week. Thanks for listening.